[wplug] Freenode

D. Scott Boggs scott at tams.tech
Fri May 21 13:36:53 EDT 2021

I've never really been active on this list, just lurking in case of events and the like, and TBH I don't even live in WPA anymore, but FWIW I've heard a decent amount of talk of just moving to Matrix now that freenode is dead. In my experience IRC is a huge battery drain on mobile, so personally I only use it occasionally when I want to talk about something specific. Matrix is a lot more suited to an asynchronous, less-active discussion IMO.

Peace,

Scott

---- On Thu, 20 May 2021 09:39:17 -0400 Vance Kochenderfer <vance at happylemur.com> wrote ----

"Michael P. O'Connor" <mailto:mpop at mikeoconnor.net> wrote:
> My questions are
> Will Wplug move the channel there?
> Does anyone even consider WPLUG channel on IRC a part of the organization of WPLUG anymore?  I know I been lurking there for a few months and no activity has happened.
> Is there interest in reviving the channel and making it active, either on the old freenode or on the new Libra.chat servers.

Yeah, I just happened to hear about the Freenode controversy elsewhere
yesterday.
<https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/19/freenode_staff_resigns>

To be honest, I'm not sure if there's any activity on the #wplug
Freenode channel these days; it's been probably years since I've popped
in.  I don't even really recall who had operator status on the channel.
Of course monkeybot is always there, but rarely has much to say.

It wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense to me to try setting up a
channel on another network (whether Libera.Chat or something else like
OFTC) if it's just going to sit there idle.  I can certainly understand
if people have problems with the direction Freenode seems to be taking
(personally it sounds shady to me).  However, I'm not currently
convinced that there's any great urgency to move off of there.  The main
concern seems to be potential misuse of personal information associated
with registered nicknames, and AFAIK it still works fine to use Freenode
with an unregistered nick (I never registered one myself).

If someone does have an interest in re-activating our IRC presence,
please do speak up!

mailto:vance at happylemur.com |   good belt of Scotch"    -Nick Danger