[wplug] Screen recording software for Linux

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Mon Sep 23 15:48:28 EDT 2013

Does anyone have any favorite screen recording packages for Linux?
Basically, software that works something like Camtasia or CamStudio does
on Windows ... except not on Windows.  ;-)

So far, I have found:

1.  RecordMyDesktop - rather minimal, doesn't provide any way to do
things like annotate the recording, plus only produces recordings in Ogg
Vorbis / Theora format which is somewhat limiting.
2.  Istanbul - appears to have essentially the same minimal feature set,
and same file format limitations, as RecordMyDesktop.
3.  Byzanz - also rather minimal for the same reasons, only allows
recording for a specified amount of time (i.e., doesn't provide any way
to do "Record until I tell you to stop"), plus it has a silly name that
I can never remember.  ;-)  But at least it will natively produce
recordings in FLV (Flash video) format.
4.  Wink - Freeware but not open-source (and doesn't appear to be
included in any distro's repositories so it has to be installed outside
of the distro's package system), but creates recordings in FLV format
and lets you do at least basic annotations and things. But, doesn't
appear to want to install on 64-bit Linux systems, so I haven't been
able to even try it.

I don't necessarily mind something that has to be installed outside of
the package system, as long as it works well.

Are there others I'm missing?

--Pat.