[wplug] Screen recording software for Linux

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynneicher at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 16:14:01 EDT 2013

Dear Pat,

The magic phrase you are looking for is "screencasting software."

There are some other suggestions here...
http://askubuntu.com/questions/4428/how-to-create-a-screencast

On a related note, if your capture needs are command-line only,
/usr/bin/script is exactly what you need.
http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_script.htm

Hope this helps.

Great question.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn Eicher

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Pat Barron <pat at lectroid.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any favorite screen recording packages for Linux?
> Basically, software that works something like Camtasia or CamStudio does
> on Windows ... except not on Windows.  ;-)
>
> So far, I have found:
>
> 1.  RecordMyDesktop - rather minimal, doesn't provide any way to do
> things like annotate the recording, plus only produces recordings in Ogg
> Vorbis / Theora format which is somewhat limiting.
> 2.  Istanbul - appears to have essentially the same minimal feature set,
> and same file format limitations, as RecordMyDesktop.
> 3.  Byzanz - also rather minimal for the same reasons, only allows
> recording for a specified amount of time (i.e., doesn't provide any way
> to do "Record until I tell you to stop"), plus it has a silly name that
> I can never remember.  ;-)  But at least it will natively produce
> recordings in FLV (Flash video) format.
> 4.  Wink - Freeware but not open-source (and doesn't appear to be
> included in any distro's repositories so it has to be installed outside
> of the distro's package system), but creates recordings in FLV format
> and lets you do at least basic annotations and things. But, doesn't
> appear to want to install on 64-bit Linux systems, so I haven't been
> able to even try it.
>
> I don't necessarily mind something that has to be installed outside of
> the package system, as long as it works well.
>
> Are there others I'm missing?
>
> --Pat.

Thanks,

Beth Lynn Eicher