[wplug] VPS recommendation

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Wed Aug 7 07:45:59 EDT 2013

Hey guys. In case you didn't see my earlier email, I said I was thinking about running my own node in a decentralized, open source social network. That original vision has expanded to become something of an end-to-end experience. In short, I want to make it as easy as possible for people to get started with secure online communication by providing information at a glance (fill out a two-question survey to get software recommendations), detailed documentation on setting it up step by step, reference instances of the software that are operated by me (eliminates the "which network?" question associated with XMPP, etc), and the ability to contact me for help.

Anyhow, all of this is nothing but wishful thinking unless I've got somewhere to put it up. What would you recommend for a reasonably-priced VPS? I know we use Linode for the server, but I'm curious to see if any of you have any better recommendations. I've already got a spare domain name that I could use.