[wplug] Deploying Edubuntu software in Nairobi, Kenya

Dave Sevick sevick at computereach.com
Tue Aug 6 02:34:56 EDT 2013

Dear Linux folks,

It is with great pleasure I can announce a new program designed to produce Edubuntu 13.04 imaged PC computers in Nairobi, Kenya from donated computers.

By way of the Reverend Charles Kaloki of the Eternity Gospel Church and Ministries centered in Nairobi this IT professional/Christian missionary pastor will be recycling computers following our Computer Reach model in Pittsburgh, PA.  His team will collect used/working donated computers from the business/education community in Kenya and beyond.

Step 1 - Set up the PXE server laptop we have provided their team.

Step 2 - Connect an ethernet cable between the server and donated PC computer (we recommend Pentium 4 - 1GHZ or higher, at least 512 RAM, 16 GB free hard drive space).

Step 3 - Boot the donated PC and tap the F12 key until you get a boot prompt for "LAN" booting.  Hit "enter" and everything is automatic ! Within 10 minutes they should have a fully functional useable FREE SOFTWARE computer.

Our streamlined processes at Computer Reach are successful with credit due:

( Developed by Max Gelman of Springboard Technologies and the Western PA Linux Users Group in 2011 )
( Tweaked by Lyz Krumbach Joseph from San Francisco, in Ghana Africa  in 2012)
( Tweaked again by Johnny Qwalick of Goodwill of Southwestern PA, in Pittsburgh in 2013 )

We now have a motivated community leader using this technology to educate and inspire people in the African countries of Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Congo, Rwanda, and South Sudan.

Please join me in wishing Rev. Charles Kaloki our best in this fully sustainable local African effort.

Charles Kaloki <ckaloki at hotmail.com>

Dave

P.S.  Rev. Charles was also granted an Apple G3 iBook laptop running our educational bundle of Tiger 10.4.11 and OS 9.2.2 ( see the software links below ).  We thank the Coraopolis based Asante Yesu for all their support providing the grants to make this new program launch.

P.S.S.  We have a similar Edubuntu effort underway in Ghana, Africa with Daniel Kwaku Ganyome of Africa ICT Right.

Dave  Sevick
Executive Director
Computer Reach
Humanitarian Computer Outreach