[wplug] Redesigning my home network

Max Putas maxblaze at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 10:48:58 EDT 2012

I don't like Woot's service very much, but these referbished HP
systems are a really good deal. I have two similar systems at home and
they've been working great for over a year. They would be fine as a
basic server and support virtualization once you enable it in the
BIOS.

http://tech.woot.com/plus/hp-systems

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Dan Martin <dc.martin at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 08/14/12, John Lewis wrote:
>
> I want remote terminal access to my home server and I want to sync my
> home folder, but I haven't decided on how I was going to implement it. I
> was thinking about subscribing to a dynamic DNS service and remoting in
> using a Fully Qualified Domain Name
> +++++
>
> If you visit  www.ifconfig.me, you will see your public ip address.  Scroll down
> to the bottom of the page to see command line examples using curl:
>
>  curl ifconfig.me/ip          <=== will return your WAN address, as will
>  curl ifconfig.me
>  curl ifconfig.me/host      <=== will return your public host name, eg,
> pool-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net
>
> For some systems that I have to keep track of, I set up a cron job
> that   rsyncs me the current ip via the curl example.  You could email it
> to yourself and access it from anywhere via  comcast  webmail.
>
> According to http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=ifconfig.me,
> and some others, the site is safe.  (I think this means that it is not obviously
> malicious, but who knows.)
>
> Good luck,
> Dan Martin
> +++++