[wplug] Redesigning my home network

Dan Martin dc.martin at verizon.net
Wed Aug 15 08:39:56 EDT 2012

Hi John,

On 08/14/12, John Lewis wrote:

I want remote terminal access to my home server and I want to sync my
home folder, but I haven't decided on how I was going to implement it. I
was thinking about subscribing to a dynamic DNS service and remoting in
using a Fully Qualified Domain Name
+++++

If you visit  www.ifconfig.me, you will see your public ip address.  Scroll down
to the bottom of the page to see command line examples using curl:

 curl ifconfig.me/ip          <=== will return your WAN address, as will
 curl ifconfig.me
 curl ifconfig.me/host      <=== will return your public host name, eg,
pool-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net

For some systems that I have to keep track of, I set up a cron job
that   rsyncs me the current ip via the curl example.  You could email it
to yourself and access it from anywhere via  comcast  webmail.

According to http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=ifconfig.me,
and some others, the site is safe.  (I think this means that it is not obviously
malicious, but who knows.)

Good luck,
Dan Martin
+++++