[wplug] OT (somewhat): Network question

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Wed May 26 18:11:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 17:32 -0400, Scott F. Kiesling wrote:
> My biggest specific question is whether I should have the Westell
> modem connect in PPPoE (as it is now),

PPPoE on Verizon is only for some legacy coverage areas.  Most people in
the city just get bridged onto a massive DHCP-enabled WAN VLAN, like
Comcast.

When you dump, you can see all the Mac and Windows users broadcasting
NetBIOS and Bonjour/Avaiha onto the WAN because they dont filter
multicast address ingress.

> or to put it in bridge mode. I
> have heard in bridge mode you have to reset every day, so I am a

Never heard of that, but it sounds like its time for you to raise a
little bit of hell with Verizon.

BTW, Sangoma makes PCI ADSL2 modems (its not really a modem) and you can
get them on Ebay extra cheap these days; FreeBSD/Linux drivers are
included on the CD.

Best solution may be to simply move into the city.

~BAS