[wplug] OT (somewhat): Network question

scoob8000 scoob8000 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 19:33:21 EDT 2010

If you indeed are still pppoe, put the westell in pure bridge mode and let
your router handle the pppoe authentication.

You may or may not need to clone the westells mac address in your router
too.

On May 26, 2010 6:27 PM, "Brian A. Seklecki" <
lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 17:32 -0400, Scott F. Kiesling wrote:
> My biggest specific question is whethe...
PPPoE on Verizon is only for some legacy coverage areas.  Most people in
the city just get bridged onto a massive DHCP-enabled WAN VLAN, like
Comcast.

When you dump, you can see all the Mac and Windows users broadcasting
NetBIOS and Bonjour/Avaiha onto the WAN because they dont filter
multicast address ingress.

> or to put it in bridge mode. I
> have heard in bridge mode you have to reset every day, so I am a...
Never heard of that, but it sounds like its time for you to raise a
little bit of hell with Verizon.

BTW, Sangoma makes PCI ADSL2 modems (its not really a modem) and you can
get them on Ebay extra cheap these days; FreeBSD/Linux drivers are
included on the CD.

Best solution may be to simply move into the city.

~BAS