[wplug] OT (somewhat): Network question

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at pitt.edu
Wed May 26 17:32:21 EDT 2010

Hi all-

I'm reorganizing my home network configuration, such as it is, and am
trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Until FiOS comes to my street, I have Verizon DSL. I have a
Verizon-supplied Westell Versalink 327W, which is a modem/router
combo. When I first got it, the wireless was shot, so I just bought
another wireless router since there were some complaints I found about
the Westell (and Newegg is easier to deal with than Verizon). So I
have a wireless router connected to the Westell.

I got a new Buffalo Air Station Wireless-G to replace my previous
wireless router, as the Buffalo got good reviews for strength and
dependability.

I also have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+.

I would like to have a linux box as a server for both the house LAN
and something I can connect to from the greater Wild World, and to
connect the ReadyNAS to the linux box, which will also run an ampache
server (unless there are other suggestions, but there are ampache
clients for my Palm Pre!).

My biggest specific question is whether I should have the Westell
modem connect in PPPoE (as it is now), or to put it in bridge mode. I
have heard in bridge mode you have to reset every day, so I am a
little leery of that.

What do you all think? I'm trying to do this without anything more
than I alreay have, hardware-wise.

Thanks in advance.

(BTW distro will be arch linux since that what I know best these days
and really like it.)

Scott