[wplug] Moving from IDE to SATA drive (hda vs sda)

David J. Pryke david-wplug at pryke.us
Wed Jan 20 14:30:49 EST 2010

scoob8000 wrote:
> I'm stumped on this one.   I just replaced a IDE disk with a newer SATA
> model, thus my device names changed from /dev/hda to /dev/sda..
>
> My bootup hangs here:
> Unable to access resume device SWAP-hda2
> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'

Sounds like the machine was in a suspended/hibernated state when you changed
hard drives.  Now it is trying to resume from the last running state, and
the "resume image" (which I think usually lies in the swap partition)
references the old partition name.

This thread looks like it may offer some helpful info:

Thanks,

David J. Pryke