[wplug] nokia n900 vs iphone

Scott Sweeny ssweeny at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:41:44 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 11:12 -0400, Kevin Dunn wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anybody lookin at buying the Nokia N900 ? I am on the fence . It is a
> bit high on the price tag and not released yet . I am also looking at
> the iphone ,
> I need some feedback to help my decsion, I have pros and cons about
> both .
>

> IPHONE  $199 16G
>
> PROs:
> Lots of apps that I could actually use , works well, has 3G on
> AT&T,great gps for free and a sweet gps add on for $90 .
>
> CONs:
> Apple locks it down tight and keeps control, No tethering without
> jailbreak, no ssh without jailbreak .
>

> N900 $582.00 on Amazon
>
> PROs:
>
> Runs linux , endless possibilities,
>
> CONs:
>
> Very few apps , would have to use on Tmobile for 3G and coverage seems
> to suck , Probably would have to use on AT&T but would only be EDGE ,
> new and not proven yet .
>
> thanks for any thoughts , kevin

There is a rumor that the N900 will be carried by TM by the end of the
month (and supposedly subsidized).

Additionally, the Maemo OS on the N900 is essentially Debian for ARM so
there are lots of FLOSS apps that you can install. For example I have an
N810, which is the precursor to the N900 and I regularly play nethack,
FreeCiv and The Secret of Monkey Island (using SCUMMVM) on it. Not all
those apps will be catered to the touchscreen and form-factor of course,
but I've found apps for just about everything I want to do on the
device.

Cheers,
~Scott