[wplug] Large Database

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Fri Mar 6 13:48:55 EST 2009

> Sorry, but I really have to disagree here. There is no reason why a
> properly laid out and configured SAN would have any less performance
> than a RAID controller.

 	Hi all.

 	For simple stuff, yah. And it is easier to use a SAN, and they
scale. Consider the bandwidth to your data when planning this stuff (if
you have the option to).

 	I've personally seen flat-files perform far better than a
database, which is useful for read-only operations.

> I will agree that RAID-10 is the way to go, and also note that virtually
> every SAN out there can configure LUNs as RAID-10 arrays. I just built a
> 10 Terabyte EMC array about 2 years ago in this same exact fashion and
> the performance was excellent.

 	EMCs are nice. NetApps are nice too. I think most of us have some
kind of RAID or SANish stuff at home.

 	Anyone doing any high-volume database stuff? I should start
tracking my Postgres usage.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.pghwireless.net