[wplug] Large Database

DK wplug at curlynoodle.com
Fri Mar 6 13:58:28 EST 2009

Thanks everyone for the response.

Some background; I participated in a webinar on a proprietary
"historian" application which does exactly what I need.  The server
application communicates with process devices (PLCs) and samples real
world data, i.e. temperatures, pressures, forces, positions, etc.
Licensing for the software range from thousands to tens of thousands
depending on the number of discrete items to store.  This cost added
to the base system cost could be upward of $100k.  Most clients are
happy paying for a turnkey application assuming it pays for itself in
the end.

However, I have smaller systems where even a $1000 for a license is
simply out of the question.

To address several of the questions;

Each record would include a datestamp field and at least one value
field.  More than likely I would have 20 or more value fields, all
with a common datestamp.

The system would sample data from process devices every 10ms, 100ms,
500ms, 1s or 5s, depending on the source of the data.  Sampling at
these rates for a year or more yield millions of records.

Dave