[wplug] firewall interface

Jonathan S. Billings wbanguna at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 07:50:05 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 05:02:43PM -0500, Zach wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand things correctly:
>
> When I get my ADSL line setup if I connect it directly to my laptop's
> NIC I will setup iptables to use eth0 as the internet interface but if
> I use a router and NAT (either seperate or one built in to the DSL
> modem) then iptables will use network interface ppp0.
>
> Is that all correct? BTW how do I know when Verizon will setup the
> line outside? The guy at Nidhog said they won't be coming into my
> apartment.

In either case, you'll be using your ethernet device (eth0).  If you
are using the router/firewall device, your laptop will get an RFC 1918
private network IP (such as 192.167.0.2), but if you are connected
directly to the DSL "modem", you'll be assigned a publicly routable
IP.  Both cases will use your ethernet device.

I'm not sure if it was ever determined if you will need to use PPPoE
or not.

--
Jonathan Billings <wbanguna at gmail.com>