[wplug] DSL prep

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:38:27 EST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 8:09 AM, DK <wplug at curlynoodle.com> wrote:
> From what others have said about Nidhog, you may be okay with just
> your Linux machine.  Headaches may ensue if the installer is a Verizon
> technician.
>
> My sister-in-law decided to get Verizon DSL several months back.  The
> Verizon "installation" involves the technician connecting the
> modem/router to the phone line and power, verifying the status LEDs,
> then having you install their required software on your PC to
> "activate" the connection.

Ah. Well I have a dual boot with Windows 98 SE in the worst case they
insist I install some software. But they may only have XP and Vista
friendly software since 98 is so ancient heh. I would prefer a Linux
only install though.

> My suggestion of using a router at first would allow the Verizon tech
> to setup and "activate" your DSL without having to mess with your PC.
> Again however, others have said that Nidhog is rather *nix friendly,
> so they may be able/willing to connect your Linux machine to the modem
> for a direct connection (no NAT).

If I just plug an ethernet cable (I hope the installer will bring one
since I don't have any) between my NIC port and the modem won't it be
a direct connection automatically? Or must Nidhog do something special
on their end?

I've heard Linux can do the PPPoE work or a router or modem can do it.
Is one faster than the other?

PS: I currently have no router. Just my laptop which has a NIC and my
dialup modem :)

Zach