[wplug] DSL prep

DK wplug at curlynoodle.com
Thu Feb 7 08:09:18 EST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 11:27 PM, Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 7:45 AM, DK <wplug at curlynoodle.com> wrote:
> >
> > The installer may freak out when he or she sees your Linux box.  So,
> > make things easy on yourself.  Get an el-cheapo router, such as
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130014, that
> > supports PPPoE.  You can easily configure the router as needed for
> > Verizon service.  You will be using NAT for internet access, but you
> > can always try setting up a direct connection later after Verizon has
> > "installed" your service.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Does the installer need to come into my apartment or just do the work
> outside? I've never had a router or DSL modem before :-) So any docs
> on howto configure it? I've never used NAT either. Why will I be using
> NAT and why can't I have a direct connection right away?
>

> Zach

>From what others have said about Nidhog, you may be okay with just
your Linux machine.  Headaches may ensue if the installer is a Verizon
technician.

My sister-in-law decided to get Verizon DSL several months back.  The
Verizon "installation" involves the technician connecting the
modem/router to the phone line and power, verifying the status LEDs,
then having you install their required software on your PC to
"activate" the connection.

My suggestion of using a router at first would allow the Verizon tech
to setup and "activate" your DSL without having to mess with your PC.
Again however, others have said that Nidhog is rather *nix friendly,
so they may be able/willing to connect your Linux machine to the modem
for a direct connection (no NAT).

Dave