[wplug] DSL prep

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 6 08:49:00 EST 2008

Zach wrote:
> I've ordered DSL service from a local Verizon reseller called Nidhog
> on Penn Ave. I will be getting 728/128 service for $19.95 a month. He
> said I can have a free DSL modem and a static ip. I would like to
> prepare for this (expect techs to come in next week) so what should I
> do on my Linux side?

I use Nidhog. They're great guys, nothing but good things to say about
them. They're very *nix friendly, they're mostly a FreeBSD shop. If you
have any difficulties, I'm sure they'll help you out.

On a more technical note, if you're not going to get a little hardware
router (which is probably what I would recommend for you) and do NAT and
portforwarding for any ports you need to be externally available, you
really need think carefully about what ports you have open to the
outside. Learn about iptables and ensure that nothing listens to the
outside unless you need it to do so.
--
Duncan Hutty