[wplug] Verizon FIOS experience with Linux?

Eric esw148 at cawunited.com
Thu Apr 3 10:44:28 EST 2008

I've had FIOS for over a year now.  When I got it, they provided a d-link
wireless router that connected to the ONT. It used pppoe to communicate with
verizon, and then provided dhcp and nat to the 4 port switch on it.

Once they had it installed though, I took it off and hooked up my homemade
linux router to the output of the ONT, and set it up for pppoe, and it's
worked ever since.

I had a windows laptop for the technician to use, but i'd guess if you have
a linux box with a web browser and an ethernet port, that it would work.

Yes, the wireless router for the home network is the same one that connects
to the ONT.

I've had almost no problems with the service.  It's been down maybe once or
twice that i've noticed, for a total of just several minutes.  I have the
15/2 plan, and i usually get about 14.7/1.8.  I have 3 voip lines plus about
10 pc's running on it and everything's always blazingly fast.

They do block port 80 on the residential plans.

I just wish the 20/20 plan was available here...

Eric