[wplug] Verizon FIOS experience with Linux?

Moshe Hyzon mokatz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:45:06 EST 2008

I'ts standard DHCP, i think only their DSL is PPPoE. All I can say is
that when the FIOS technician comes, _INSIST_ that you get a standard
Ethernet connection to the ONT. I got stuck with MoCA (Multimedia over
Coax), and so I have to use their Router, an Acitontec MIGR424 or
something.  It runs linux, but they only recently release the source,
I don't think any of the alternative firmware distros (DDWRT, OpenWRT,
etc) have added support for it yet.  It's powerful hardware but the
firmware is pretty buggy.  So if you can run your own router via
ethernet, I'd do that.

I am currently trying to change the Actiontec to make it act like a
bridge and then do my own routing and NATing,  but the Action tec
interface is very obtuse.

Still, it's a fast connection (I think I'm on 5/2).

Moshe