[wplug] is firefox on linux just really slow with animations?

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Fri Nov 9 13:15:59 EST 2007

Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
>> So, if you've got a minute visit the following two web sites and do the
>> following tests:
>>
>> http://script.aculo.us/
>>
>> Do the bubbles on the page pop up nice an quickly, or does it remind
>> you of
>> an Apple ][e trying to render the graphics line by line?
>>
>> http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
>>
>> Click on Image Set (second row of pictures).  Does the lightbox come up
>> smoothly?  Does it resize nicely when you press the arrow keys?
>
>     Pretty quick for me on EL4, but I have a laptop with a NVidia Go1000
> in it. I'd say you've either got a deprecated video card, or a
> not-so-great driver.
>
>     Google Earth is useless on a couple of machines at home (ATI
> Rage-related poor excuse for a video card), for instance, but it
> seriously rocks on this Go1000.

I initially discounted the driver issue because the display was fine in
VMWare, which is obviously displaying through the same driver.  I changed
the FGLRX driver, and it went smooth on Linux, but still slower than
VMWare.  This is kinda strange as it indicates differing acceleration
architectures and that the more generic VMWare one probably could work fine
for what I'm doing in Firefox.

Ho hum.  I guess I'm out of luck until AMD gets around to supporting
monitor hotplugging in their driver.  I can't afford to keep on killing my
XSession every time I plug in a new monitor.

--Patrick