[wplug] postgres and mediawiki

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 20:02:06 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to setup MediaWiki with a postgres backend, and there
hasn't been much progress.

I'm fairly confused by the security system in Postgres, for one.  I've
never used it, and have not scoured the documentation as thoroughly as
I probably should.

There are two things I want to accomplish:

First, set up things so that I can connect as the superuser (and thus
do anything I want or need to on any database) from my unix account
using pgadmin3.  I'm really not sure what has to go in pg_hba.conf and
pg_ident.conf for this.

Second, allow the php configuration part of mediawiki to login as the
user wikidb_user, and modify the database wikidb.  The script will
create the necessary tables, etc.

For both of these cases, the user that will be accessing them will be
local.  (Although I think pgadmin3 seems to connect via TCP).  Also,
the mediawiki config asks for a database name and (under postgres
specific options) a schema.  What schema?

I'm able to login with psql, and I created the database wikidb and the
user wikidb_user (who owns wikidb).

I'm going to skip the proofreading part of the message, because I'm
writing this from a ridiculously terrible kiosk.

Mike