[wplug] Comcast cable modem woes

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sat Jun 30 11:39:07 EDT 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:45:54 -0400
Eric Cooper <ecc at cmu.edu> wrote:

> I have a cable modem connected to a Debian router/firewall with 2 3Com
> Vortex NICs.  In the past month or so I've been experiencing annoying
> freezes, where there is 100% packet loss to the Comcast router for as
> much as a minute, after which traffic flows again.
>
> Before I start swapping NICs and cable modems, has anyone else
> experienced this?

I know for a while, after getting my Comcast service, I would have to
powercycle the modem and my firewall box (IPCOP box - like another on
this list) approx. once a month.  After doing so all would be fine (till
next month).  This went for almost 2 years.

During one of these times on the phone with the Comcast tech, he told me
I had an older modem.  Since they had an office (off brownsville rd,
around 51) pretty close to my house, they told be to just take the modem
in and trade it up for a newer model.  Since doing so (about 4 months
ago) I have not had a single issue.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org