[wplug] Re: LUG Interest Waning? -- CMU v. Pitt non-sense?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jul 24 14:53:53 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 14:24 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> And anyway, I've often heard from Pitt students that they'd never go
> near CMU campus because it was "boring" or "uncool", and that we should
> have WPLUG meetings closer to Pitt because they'd be more willing to
> show up.

Huh?

Okay, I'm like from the official American college football "state" if
there is one -- Florida -- where our fans are the _absolute_worst_
losers and _worst_ sportmen/women.  I went to U Can't Finish (UCF) -- we
hate USF (our in-state rival in Tampa -- yes, Tampa was "south Florida"
when it was founded in the early 1900s -- "The I-4 War" and 97 miles
apart).  And we _all_ hate UF, because they win everything.  The three
(3) also have very large EE departments (and are 3 of the largest 10
universities, main campus-wise, in the US -- roughly 50,000/each).

*BUT* even *WE* get along when it comes to technology.

Everytime we hosted an IEEE Region 3 or statewide IEEE student chapter
event at UCF, the thing I'd hear from people from Florida or USF (let
alone UNF, FAMU-FSU's join EE department) ... is that "going to UCF is
uncool."  In fact, the UF chair would often talk up how it was great
that UCF wasn't only centralized, but we had the most EE-related
industry right on-site you could find within 1,000+ miles (we have a
1,000 acre research park which is the majority of our 1,400 acre
on-campus).

I think this is non-sense, and something that you get from non-technical
people.

And I say that coming from Florida -- where all they think we do is
party and aren't good at anything but sports, if at all.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com