[wplug] LUG Interest Waning?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 25 19:48:48 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 19:34 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> The problem is that a lot of people don't really know you exist.

That's always an issue.

> Ever think of a myspace page?  A community livejournal?  These
> aren't great ideas

On the contrary, I mirrored them in a way ...

"Re: LUG Interest Waning? -- 3 things you need, 3 things that are nice ..."
  http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2007-July/030349.html

 'Ideal extras include, but require additional efforts:
  A.  Wiki for exchange of ideas, information, etc...
  B.  Personal (about me) _and_ professional (resume, jobs) sites
  C.  Regular presence at events -- from IT-related to HAM-related,
      etc...
  Actually, it's not.   Referring to "B" above, you want 2 avenues ...
  B1.  "Personal" (about me) areas -- e.g., "Myspace" and related
  B2.  "Professional" (resume/job) areas -- e.g., "Linkedin" and
       job sites
  You target _both_ the "social" (youth, student, single, etc...)
  affluent technologist as well as the established
  "professional" (engineer, IT, recruiter).  You want to be both
  "cool" as well as a "professional, people networking" group --
  _never_ choose one or the other, target _both_.  It's a balance.'

Of course, I'm winded so I'm sure many didn't read it.  I'm also an
opinionated SOB, as most are probably realizing by now (and why I'm
typically not active on most LUG lists -- I help people off-list).

> but I don't think sinking a lot of money into flyers would be good
> unless you went to several other user groups and dropped them off
> (get permission first).

I was going to rip off a hundred or two color ones at home this weekend.
I'll leave the folding to others at the picnic.  ;)

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com