[wplug] Re: Linux PDA-phones with sync

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Jul 4 13:12:19 EDT 2007

> I'm nursing along my Treo 650, and closing my eyes and ears whenever
> the iPhones ads come on, until I can find a decent Linux phone.  I
> have high hopes for the OpenMoko, supposedly to be released in
> October.  The RAZR2 might be also be OK.  Hopefully, all kinds of sync
> applications will be possible since they'll be open.

 	Question is, what to sync *to*? There aren't really any unified
PIM applications, or (functional?) framework for doing so (that I know
about).

 	Personally, I'd like to use a PIM software to manage tasks,
calendar, and addressbook stuff -- and publish some of that stuff onto the
web with rules on how to do so. Microsoft Outlook still doesn't do those
things without drinking the kool-aid, and it still vastly misses the mark.
Nesting tasks, anyone? As it is, my old Nokia 3650 is prolly the one of
the most capable phones out there, but the software on it is old, lacking,
poorly writen, and non-upgradable. I don't know what to do for a new phone
-- and I'm long overdue.

 	The Jesusphone sounds nice, but I'll wait until the hackers break
it open, add a cardslot, support Java, or *something* with GNU/Linux. UI
is a great idea, but the thing is still pretty lacking, just like all the
other phones out there.

 	I am really sick of the poor excuse for (software on mobile)
phones that have been on the market. We have had the technology for
*years* to build something usable, functional, and interesting. I'm
wondering why the carriers still hate their users!

 	Otherwise, I enjoy working for phone-development startups. Lots of
them have really neat ideas, but it is really hard to get some of those
ideas into widespread adoption -- because the carriers don't want you to
have those features. Verizon said 'no' to Apple because they wanted to
charge for every feature possible. I can't wait until that mentality
stops, and actual innovation can be free to experiment. WiFi will help
allow that blah blah blah ad nauseum.

 	Okay, okay. I'll shut up and go cut more hardibacker =_)

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.pghwireless.net