[wplug] Re: Linux PDA-phones with sync

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 4 13:56:43 EDT 2007

The Palm/Pilot sctuff is pretty well open, and select Linux PDAs implement some of it for sync.
GNOME Evolution is far superior to MS Outlook and has been for a half-decade IMHO.
I've learned to cope without the direct sync between my Treo 600 series (I used the Kyocera 6000/7100 before it).

Now I do have to say the RIM (Blackberry) does offer great value for what you pay for.
Especially the wide availability of unlocked GSM models (and tougher than Treos), low service costs and 3rd party on-line sync.
I mean, for the cost of basic IP access, their push approach and the service model is very sound.
I have Evolution partially working to two third party sync sites that I also sync with my Blackberry.
I just sure wish RIM was more open, because they already make their money on the service, and MS Exchange customers.

Furthermore, and not to tangent, MS Exchange is not a true collaboration back-end, but more of only a store.
It doesn't do actual scheduling or resolution, and relys on the MS Outlook (or other MAPI) client or RIM services/middleware.
There are far better, enterprise collaboration systems, and I don't mean the ones that merely do web, iCalendar or provide a MAPI connector.
Those are still storage-only with connector, and require a "fat" client for the "brains."
I'm not a fan of peer-to-peer collaboration and scheduling systems, and I don't want web-only either.
Precisely because I have a Smartphone that is light on interface, and I can't be launching a browser.

I'm talking about systems like SKYRiX open architecture, with its 3-tier storage + connector + the all-important middleware.
You need the last to do true collaboration between a multitude of connectors and translations.
And that's why and how SKYRiX supports more than just a MAPI connector and web, but direct Palm.NET, native Evolution, etc... as well.
99% of "Exchange replacements" are nothing more than a proprietary store with connector and "fat" web client.
Even most of the other Freedomware groupware, sans OpenGroupware.ORG (SKYRiX) is "dumb open store" with a MAPI connector and "fat" web client.

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile