[wplug] DSL?

Matthew J Hughes mhues_2k at comcast.net
Wed Jan 24 12:31:12 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 09:15 -0500, Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> AFAIK they don't restrict anything on a "home account"; why else would
> they give you a static IP?  If in doubt, call 'em up -- did I mention
> they've got great tech support?

Static IP's are easier to trace for both bandwidth utilization purposes
and for legal purposes.
	I suspect that most companies/services don't care if you run a server.
They care if you run a server that sucks down all of the bandwidth. If
you interfere with your neighbor who is also paying for the same speed
and not getting it because you are running a service, they need to be
able to kick you off, and they need to be able to defend it in court. (I
also thought that there was a cost to them per mb delivered across the
backbone and your running a server throws their numbers off, but that is
merely a guess based on my belief that everybody wants to get paid.)
They also have to be able to disconnect the guy from their services who
has picked up a virus and his computer is spamming. When they do and he
claims that he did no such thing they need to be able to back it up...in
court. If you look at some forums it won't take you long to find some
yahoo complaining that he was disconnected from so and so service and he
did nothing wrong. That is their cya contract phrase.
	Though I think that there are exceptions to what I said as I read
Verizon wireless has been disconnecting if you pull more than 10mb a
month on their "unlimited" plan. Which is kind of a shame because it
would be nice to get internet anywhere, but the other cell companies are
finally bringing stuff to market.

That's my 2 cents,
Matthew