[wplug] Be nice if we had such a freenet in Pittsburgh

DK curlynoodle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 15:54:44 EST 2007

Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
>> http://socalfreenet.org/
>>
>> There site has detailed technical info on their setup.
>
>     Hi. We do, there's just little to no interest.
>
>     Mike Fuchs was working on the Pittsburgh Freenet a while back, like
> maybe '93 or so. I don't know where he or the Freenet went.
>
>     The Bandwidth Collective was a group I was part of at about '96-'97
> -- that was probably the closest thing that has manifested itself into
> coherence, even if it was only for a short time. We had bandwidth,
> office space, and power, but no real way to keep up with the monthly bills.
>
>     In '99 I registered pghwireless.com, and setup a website as an
> information resource for the pittsburgh area. That domain has since been
> eaten by Verisign (those bastards), and I've replaced it with
> http://www.pghwireless.net.
>
>     I am certainly interested in wireless/wired networking with other
> people, ala Seattlewireless, and many of the others. Instead of a
> community run network, we have Verizon and whomever it was that setup
> the Downtown WiFi stuff. I think some of us should band together, build
> some things, and make it work.
>
>     I bought a house atop the South Side Slopes about 6 months ago,
> which overlooks the City, Oakland, The Hill, and some bits of the north
> side. It's a nice panorama, and I've been hoping to setup some
> line-of-sight links with whomever is interested. Tree #2 is
> pre-allocated for this purpose. Are you interested?
>
>         Who's interested?
>
>         (*chirping crickets*)

Drew,

I have been tooling with the idea of starting a community-based wireless service
in my neighborhood of West View.  You may recall posts on the subject awhile
back.  It is one of many projects I would _like_ to undertake, unfortunately I
simply can not find the time.  The other hindrance is my perception of the
community, not enough geeky folk to make it worthwhile.  For example, I asked my
next-door neighbor if she had any interested in a wireless Internet connection
for her family's PC.  Her response: "isn't wireless unsafe... we're happy with
Comcast anyway".  I opted to let the subject end there.

Its always in the back of mind though.

Dave