[wplug] Be nice if we had such a freenet in Pittsburgh

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Feb 21 14:40:35 EST 2007

> http://socalfreenet.org/
>
> There site has detailed technical info on their setup.

 	Hi. We do, there's just little to no interest.

 	Mike Fuchs was working on the Pittsburgh Freenet a while back,
like maybe '93 or so. I don't know where he or the Freenet went.

 	The Bandwidth Collective was a group I was part of at about
'96-'97 -- that was probably the closest thing that has manifested itself
into coherence, even if it was only for a short time. We had bandwidth,
office space, and power, but no real way to keep up with the monthly
bills.

 	In '99 I registered pghwireless.com, and setup a website as an
information resource for the pittsburgh area. That domain has since been
eaten by Verisign (those bastards), and I've replaced it with
http://www.pghwireless.net.

 	I am certainly interested in wireless/wired networking with other
people, ala Seattlewireless, and many of the others. Instead of a
community run network, we have Verizon and whomever it was that setup the
Downtown WiFi stuff. I think some of us should band together, build some
things, and make it work.

 	I bought a house atop the South Side Slopes about 6 months ago,
which overlooks the City, Oakland, The Hill, and some bits of the north
side. It's a nice panorama, and I've been hoping to setup some
line-of-sight links with whomever is interested. Tree #2 is pre-allocated
for this purpose. Are you interested?

 		Who's interested?

 		(*chirping crickets*)

--