[wplug] Project Utopia and /media -- WAS: Core 6 Package Manager Problem Resolved

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Aug 28 12:37:34 EDT 2007

The Filesystem Heirarchy Standard (FHS) 2.3 defines /media for
removable media, so you can normally use it.

*BUT* when using a distro that puts /media directory is under the
automated control of various components, and you should
_never_ manually mount there.  The only thing you may do is manually
unmount things that are mounted
by those components.

Newer Fedora and Fedora-based distros are not the only
ones that use this approach, and its not even limited to GNOME centric
distros anymore as the approach is a FreeDesktop.ORG standard.

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile