[wplug] Proxy Question

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 27 22:45:21 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 22:07 -0400, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> This is a question I'd like to put to the group.  I'm going to do some
> googling for the answer, but I figured I'd probably get some good
> information to the group.
> There's a website for a local retailer which blocks access from
> outside the US.  I have some family overseas who I want to be able to
> access the site.  Specifically, there is an https gift-registry that
> they need to be able to see (but not necessarily buy stuff).
> I have a static IP address at home and an always on box which
> currently only allows ssh in.  Is there a way I can setup a proxy on
> my home computer for them to use to access this retailer's website?
> One of the requirements is for me to be reasonably sure I'm not
> enabling someone to do something nefarious.  (But I do basically trust
> the people in the family.)
> I only need to give them access for about a month.  After that, its
> not an issue.  Any comments?

To avoid the SSH complexity entirely, setup Squid running on a
non-standard port, and pin-hole that port into your system.  You could
use a simple HTTP access login method as well to "lock-it-down" so no
one else can use it.

On the client browser side, you can define a rule that when they attempt
to hit that web site, it uses the proxy -- your server on the select
port.

Most straight-forward approach I can recommend.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com