[wplug] Proxy Question

Logan asciiaardvark at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 00:07:33 EDT 2007

> There's a website for a local retailer which blocks access from
> outside the US.  I have some family overseas who I want to be able to
> access the site.  Specifically, there is an https gift-registry that
> they need to be able to see (but not necessarily buy stuff).

If they're familiar with ssh:
ssh -D 8080 user at yourip

then they've got a SOCKS proxy running on their machine (port 8080),
which any browser but Opera can use as tho it were coming from your IP

(so they set the socks proxy to 127.0.0.1:8080)

That's what I always used to do anyway, simplest for you to set up,
since you don't have to do anything :-)

-Logan