[wplug] Backing up (cloning) to a smaller drive...

scoob8000 scoob8000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 18:31:36 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 21:07 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> > Boot the new machine with a boot CD like knoppix, all it needs is the
> > ext3 restore and ssh and something to create the LVM volume.
>
> Not to cross you, but wanted to point out one thing ...
>
> In the case of any Fedora-based system (including RHEL, CentOS, etc...),
> I highly recommend the sub-100MB "Recovery CD" (or the 6-12MB ISO/USB
> key and access the installer via NFS, HTTP, etc...).
>
> Red Hat puts a lot of patches into their kernels for more
> "enterprise" (that's not saying "better") support -- everything from
> updated hardware RAID firmware to HBAs, network pathing and LVM2, etc...

I ended up using disc 1 of my fedora install set.  I recreated the
partitions on the new drive and used dump/restore with netcat (couldn't
start the sshd in recovery environment).  Worked pretty well.  All else I
needed to do was re-install grub.

One bit I don't understand though is my /etc/grub.conf didn't get copied.

Nonetheless everything works as I hoped it would.

dump/restore is a new trick in my bag.  :)

Thanks everyone!
Mike