[wplug] Backing up (cloning) to a smaller drive...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 13 21:58:20 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 21:07 -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> Boot the new machine with a boot CD like knoppix, all it needs is the
> ext3 restore and ssh and something to create the LVM volume.

Not to cross you, but wanted to point out one thing ...

In the case of any Fedora-based system (including RHEL, CentOS, etc...),
I highly recommend the sub-100MB "Recovery CD" (or the 6-12MB ISO/USB
key and access the installer via NFS, HTTP, etc...).

Red Hat puts a lot of patches into their kernels for more
"enterprise" (that's not saying "better") support -- everything from
updated hardware RAID firmware to HBAs, network pathing and LVM2, etc...

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com