[wplug] Backing up (cloning) to a smaller drive...

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 19:06:39 EDT 2007

scoob8000 <scoob8000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I ended up using disc 1 of my fedora install set.

Always a solid move.  ;)
CD #1 (or DVD) can be used in "Rescue" mode.

> One bit I don't understand though is my /etc/grub.conf didn't get
> copied.

The entry /etc/grub.conf is a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf.
Also note that /boot/grub/device.map is another, required file.

> Nonetheless everything works as I hoped it would.
> dump/restore is a new trick in my bag.  :)

You're now an expert.  Trust me, if you dealt with doing that, you're
read for any boot-time mapping/copying issue.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com