[wplug] Busying working last night, missed the chat ... Da'Picnic

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 2 13:24:16 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 10:15 -0600, Vance Kochenderfer wrote:
> Not really, we wandered pretty far from the topic.  We did learn
> that sadly, markd2 will not be there to make balloon animals.

Well there goes my reason to bring my camera!  @-p

More serious now, I just got my 24.5mm equivalent wide-angle lens in
( http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_16_45 ), so I want to "break it
in."  If anyone has CinePaint experience, please come -- especially if
you've built it for x86-64.  There is a clear quality difference when I
edit my 12-bit color/channel PEF (Pentax RAW) files on only 8-bit
color/channel The GIMP than what I've seen on PhotoShop, but I've seen
CinePaint just a capable on other systems, and it has a HDR plug-in to
boot.  There's no sense in having a dSLR capable of bracketing if you're
not going to do HDR.  ;)

I'm about at the point that building all the x86-64 dependencies for
CinePaint x86-64 or ensuring all the i386 dependencies CinePaint i386 is
just too much.  So I think just going to downgrade to i386 on my
notebook on Saturday.  I've been running x86-64 since Fedora Core 3
x86-64 on my desktop over 2 years ago (which has 4GB of RAM), x86-64
since Fedora Core 5 x86-64 mid last year on my notebook (which also has
4GB of RAM), with great success.  Firefox i386 is the only thing I run
out of /usr/local/lib and install various i386 packages by pidgin-holing
select i386 RPMS from Fedora/Livna i386 repositories.  But CinePaint is
the final straw I think.

Now only if my Jeep had a 3-prong outlet with ground (2-prong only),
sigh.  And my 8-hour Li-Ion portable battery went 2 months ago (and the
dealer isn't answering my support e-mails).  Oh well, I'll get 3 hours,
that should be enough to shoot, edit, etc...  I mean, what's the sense
of the picnic if you can't have real-time fun with Linux?  ;)

> Great!  Just to make sure everyone knows, no alcohol is permitted
> in the park.

Oh, good to point out!  I'll be on the look out if and when anyone
attempts to drop any in the coolers.

[ I don't drink it so I don't buy it, but if someone else brought it, I
wouldn't think anything of it -- so thanx for pointing this out. ]

> And allow me to point out that THE PICNIC IS ONLY THREE DAYS AWAY.
> You - yes, you! - need to RSVP on the wiki at
> <http://wplug.ece.cmu.edu/wiki/index.php/2007OpenSourcePicnic> so
> we can adequately plan.  While you're there, consider signing up
> to bring something.  Do it now!

No one has commented on my "activity/sport" idea.  ;)

> (If for some reason you have an irrational fear of wikis, you can
> e-mail me your information and I'll post it for you.)

Don't taunt happy fun wiki.  ;)

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com