[wplug] journal commit i/o error

Mark Griskey mark at linuxhardware.net
Fri Oct 27 14:57:07 EDT 2006

Shane Liesegang wrote:
> Poyner, Brandon wrote:
>> You might have to tell smartmontools how to see the drives if they are
>> serial ATA and use libata (they'll show up as /dev/sd[a-z] if that is
>> the case).
>>
>> "smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda"
>>
>> There should be a seagate tool that you can use on a boot floppy or CD
>> as well.
>>

> Never did manage to get smartmontools working, but I also didn't try
> what you said. SeaTools Desktop is their downloadable boot disk that
> runs all manner of diagnostic... sure enough, one disk checked out
> fine, the other through gobbledygook text errors into the GUI and
> failed the test.
>
> Back to NewEgg with you!

I have had similar problems. Another way to check the disk without
having to download tools from the disk's manufacturer  is to use the -c
switch with e2fsck to check for bad blocks.    This type of error does
not always indicate a bad disk.  Several years ago I had a RAID5 with
Seagate drives that were know to be buggy with a particular version of
the firmware on the drive.   The device would go offline spewing IO
errors under moderate load. Seagate provided new firmware.  If there is
a problem with the disk, e2fsck -c will find it, and try to remap the
bad blocks.