[wplug] RAID, SATA, and Linux (of course)

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Wed May 10 07:35:58 EDT 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 17:16, Bob Supansic wrote:
> Jason Jerome wrote:
> > So I was wondering if I could get any recommendations for
> > any RAID controllers out there that have good Linux
> > support and would be easy to setup.
<snip>
> On the RAID issue, we turned off the on-board RAID and went
> with strictly software RAID mirroring.  As it turns out,
> most so-called hardware RAID systems seem to be software
> patches to the BIOS and offer little or no performance
> enhancement over a straight software implementation.

I'll second that. It's easier to go with kernel-based RAID. Most (all?)
modern distribution installers support setting up a RAID array before
installing the system, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I've
repeatedly used the debian installer to do that with no problems.

You could also migrate your system to RAID without even re-installing
it. The process is quite simple - a Debian-specific guide can be found
here: http://xtronics.com/reference/SATA-RAID-debian-for-2.6.html

Cheers

-A