Stock analysis Re: [wplug] OT - data mining intro

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 09:02:38 EDT 2006

On 7/13/06, Brian Sammon <wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > > mining?  I am
>
> <snip>
>
> > The  areas that I am interested in are statistical analyses,
> > trend/pattern recognition, and correlation in data that is either in a
> > database or stored locally on a machine.  I plan on using it for stock
> > market analysis.
>
> It's not a book, but have you heard of a package called GeniusTrader?
> (www.geniustrader.org)
> It's a Perl toolkit for stock market analysis.
> I looked into it a few weeks ago, and I haven't had enough time to
> learn it yet, but it looks really interesting.
> I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used this or similar software,
> and what they think of it.

That looks like an interesting project, but I am not familiar with Perl.
There a lot of software packages that are similar to that; however, most of
them are not free.  They range from about $400 - $30,000+.  There are a few
good Open Source libraries such as ta-lib and quant lib that you could use
to build your own app similar to genius trader.

Chris