[wplug] OT - data mining intro

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 21:08:44 EDT 2006

On 7/13/06, Chris Romano <romano.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/12/06, James O'Kane <jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Chris Romano wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have a recommendation on a good intro book on data mining?
> I am
> > > looking for something that gives me a good overview of the different
> aspects
> > > of data mining, so I can gauge if I want to dig deeper or focus on
> something
> > > else.
> >
> > To me, data mining is such a broad term. Do you mean looking for trends
> > in a database of data you already have, or web scraping of data via a
> > spider?
> > Wikipedia has a long explaination of some of the facets:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining
> >
> > Depending on the media you want to mine from, the answer of 'a good book'
> > might be different.
>

> The  areas that I am interested in are statistical analyses, trend/pattern
> recognition, and correlation in data that is either in a database or stored
> locally on a machine.  I plan on using it for stock market analysis.

Late on the reply, but a book that goes over some of the theory / methodolgy is:
"The Elements of Statistical Learning" by Hastie, Tibshirani and Friedman.
http://tinyurl.com/ees76 (amazon.com link)

It's been helpful and enlightening to me on both some simple things
and more complex methods - but I'm not sure what your level of
comfortablility with statistics is.

Cameron