[wplug] Linux in a war zone....

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 25 09:40:54 EST 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:48:11 +0300
David Coughanour <fobitt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am soldier from the Pittsburgh area currently stationed in Iraq.
> One of the main projects I am working on is running a field ISP to
> enable our troops can keep in touch with home.  Its been up and
> running for over 8 months and is providing service for over 300
> guys.  Linux is the corner stone of our entire operation. We depend
> on it to route traffic, perform our security scans, run our intranet
> site, power our FTP server. Without it I am not sure how we would
> have been able to deliver the same level of service (not to mention
> at the same cost)   However, most of the bases out here have at least
>
> one person running projects like this. The majority of them have
> never even heard of linux. In order to change this (as well as
> prevent the reinvention of the wheel each time a unit rotates in) I
> set up a website.  I am by no means a linux guru (I know my way
> around the command line, but you would be nuts if you let me
> recompile your kernel). Just wanted to extend the invite to anyone
> who might be interested in helping.  The ISP as well as the website
> are being run on a not for profit basis, so please don't think I am
> trying to grift free tech support.
>
> Thanks
> Dave Coughanour
>
> The link is http://hajjinet.com

I browsed the site some... this is really cool.  I commend you on what
you are doing.  Not really sure what you are looking for in idea of
help.  Do you have any ideas where someone state-side could help out, or
was this more of a "shot in the dark"?

While looking over your info, this came to mind http://www.wizzy.org.za/

It is used in Africa where the schools do not have Internet access.  A
teacher/student makes a request to a website, the request is logged,
then someone with a bike and a USB pen comes by, drops off yesterdays
info, and takes the log to bring back the info the next day. That was a
REALLY simple explanation, but I thought of it while looking over your
stuff- some or all of it might be applicable to you.