[wplug] Speaking of MIDI...

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 22:59:32 EST 2006

I have another MIDI situation.

I use an Audigy 2 ZS in my Linux desktop PC (I didn't really need to say Linux
there, did I?).

The card works great and has for quite some time.
I usually use the external port for playing back MIDI sequences with no
problems.

Recently I relocated my PC to a new room where keyboards are no longer
available.

I need to use the internal MIDI synth on the card.
I get no sound.
Everything I find on the net says to load soundfonts and that they came with
my SoundBlaster software.
Wrong !  I have 2 or 3 soundfonts with the included software.
I loaded one of them and it played.  The problem is, I need an entire bank of
GM soundfonts to work this way. Not just one sound.

What really confuses me is that this card has a PCM synth on it.
In the past (previous version of SuSE), this worked fine and it works with
Windows (without soundfonts).

I don't need the fancy oversampled soundfonts, I just want the darn card to
play sequences on the built-in synth.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can give a little guidance?

Thanks,

Bob