[wplug] Linux in a war zone....

David Coughanour fobitt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 14:48:11 EST 2006

Hello,

I am soldier from the Pittsburgh area currently stationed in Iraq.
One of the main projects I am working on is running a field ISP to
enable our troops can keep in touch with home.  Its been up and
running for over 8 months and is providing service for over 300
guys.  Linux is the corner stone of our entire operation. We depend
on it to route traffic, perform our security scans, run our intranet
site, power our FTP server. Without it I am not sure how we would
have been able to deliver the same level of service (not to mention
at the same cost)   However, most of the bases out here have at least
one person running projects like this. The majority of them have
never even heard of linux. In order to change this (as well as
prevent the reinvention of the wheel each time a unit rotates in) I
set up a website.  I am by no means a linux guru (I know my way
around the command line, but you would be nuts if you let me
recompile your kernel). Just wanted to extend the invite to anyone
who might be interested in helping.  The ISP as well as the website
are being run on a not for profit basis, so please don't think I am
trying to grift free tech support.

Thanks
Dave Coughanour

The link is http://hajjinet.com