[wplug] Odd X slowness

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Jan 12 12:45:43 EST 2006

"Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 00:08, Vance Kochenderfer wrote:
> > (Mandrake 10.1).  When running under one user's account on the
> > system, X seems to run much more slowly.  This is most apparent
>
> 1) You've probably already checked this through troubleshooting, but I
> recently saw a stock Mandrake 10.1 running multiple X servers bound to
> different VTYs, allowing different users to have parallel X  sessions
> open on the console.

Hmmm, an interesting thought, but I'm 99% sure only one X server
was running.  The problem still occurred in runlevel 3, where X
isn't run until I fire it up with startx.

> 2) Start looking at the differences between the accounts?  Group
> membership?  Permissions on /dev/* ...perhaps ulimit(1), etc.

The root of the trouble seems to be the Mandrake-specific
libGLwrapper, which other than a README appears to have no
documentation.  I wasn't about to try poking around in the source
code, so I basically gave up.  If the kids want to play games, they
can always log in as a different user (which was the workaround
they were using already :).  Thanks for the suggestions, though.