[wplug] Any bluetooth on linux experts online?

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Thu Jan 12 11:29:06 EST 2006

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 11:29 -0500, Rob Knapp wrote:
> I've been using SkypeOut/SkypeIn extensively as part of my work.  So, my
> in-laws kindly bought me a zonet zub6111c usb/bluetooth dongle and a
> plantronics m2500 bluetooth headset so that I'm not hunched over a
> little microphone on my desk. From everything I researched in advance,
> this combination was fairly inexpensive and would give me decent range.
> (According ot the bluetooth-alsa project the M2500 gets about 25 meter
> range.  (good because I pace when I'm on the "phone") )

[snip]

> However, when I actually try to play something to test the audio, I hear
> a "boop-be-boop" in my ear and then static-y silence.  (I've tried
> testing this both with xmms and on the comand line using aplay.
>
> Does anyone out their know of any resources that might help me debug
> this issue?

I solved this myself, but I wanted to record the "fix" in the archives
for future users.

The Zonet ZUB6111C is not supported for headsets on linux.  Like a
schlub, I bought the wrong type of USB adapter.  For this kind of
activity, a "CSR" chipset adpater appears to work best.

If you search on the keywords bluetooth adapter CSR on Froogle, you can
find a large number of cheap-o adapters that should work.