[wplug] Fw: Returned mail: User unknown

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Mon May 16 09:17:12 EDT 2005

On 05/16/2005 09:05 AM, Greg Simkins wrote:
> I guess I should be comforted by this diagnosis (that my bouncebacks are
> due to forging my address - not actually spamming through my server).

not really. it means there's spam out there "in your name" and the less
knowledgable believe that it came from you. Reputation is important.
> suppose I am helpless to stop forging my address.

more or less correct, however: SPF

   Is there anything I
> can do to make myself less attractive as a forgee?  Perhaps I should
> feel flattered.

no

  I suppose the bigger presence you have on the Internet,
> the more people want to forge your email address.

they don't care, they just want zillions of messages to be delivered, in
the hope that some fool will answer/buy something. Nobody actually
picked your address deliberately.

--
Duncan Hutty
System Administrator, ECE