[wplug] is there a market for linux in the US?

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 15:10:13 EDT 2005

ok.  I'm new to this group but am curious about
something.  I've been using/programming linux since
the pre V1.0 days back in the early 90s and have been
watching and hoping that posix based operating systems
would beat out M$ in markets other than desktop.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing that happening.  real
UNIX seems to have fallen by the wayside and the only
real linux embracing I see going on is on the
international front...or in the hacker/geek community.
 Just take a look at the linux related news articles.
Most seem to be from international sources.

I guess to be more susinct: can an old time unix geek
find programming/analysis work with linux or to find a
real job do we HAVE to sell our souls and jump on the
M$ bandwagon?

Are employers looking for linux...other than the
occasional PR position to make it look like they are
investing in open source?

What do employers consider real linux experience:
knowledge of the OS core and the ability to make GNU
open source porjects work together, or business
experience and (dread the thought...CERTIFICATION) in
some particular vendors distribution with a gui
attached?

any thoughts?