[wplug] is there a market for linux in the US?

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:12:15 EDT 2005

On 5/11/05, Rob Prowel <tempest766 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I guess to be more susinct: can an old time unix geek
> find programming/analysis work with linux or to find a
> real job do we HAVE to sell our souls and jump on the
> M$ bandwagon?

I detect a hint of bitterness here.  Have you spent much time looking
for jobs in unix/linux?  Do you see a lack of jobs for unix/linux
experts while seeing many jobs for experts for microsoft?  There has
been a bit of a job slump in the tech area lately, so it could be that
you're just seeing an overall trend.

> What do employers consider real linux experience:
> knowledge of the OS core and the ability to make GNU
> open source porjects work together, or business
> experience and (dread the thought...CERTIFICATION) in
> some particular vendors distribution with a gui
> attached?

It really depends on who you're talking to.  Often HR folks will go
all googly-eyed at certifications and Official Stamps Of Approval
(tm), while ignoring the fact that you are the maintainer of an
important open source project in your free time.  On the other hand,
experts in the field sometimes are wary of random certifications, and
will often value first-hand experience.  I know I've participated in
interviews with some people who, on paper, looked really good, but as
soon as they came in and started talking I couldn't tell if this
person had even used Linux.

I think if you are looking for a programming job, getting involved in
an open source project can only improve your resume.
--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com