[wplug] ubuntu install - dies on X

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Tue May 10 12:00:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 10:39:44PM -0400, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> The thing is, it boots from LILO (for some reason, the installer could not
> successfully install grub, with no explanation given -- but installing
> LILO worked okay) straight into Runlevel 2, and never gives me a chance to
> interrupt the boot process to specify a text-only runlevel.

Unlike RH/Fedora, Debian/Ubuntu doesn't use the runlevel to determine
whether or not to start X; it simply uses the presence of the gdm (or
equivalent) package.  So just "apt-get remove gdm" (you might need to
boot in single-user mode, or chroot from your Knoppix disk, to
accomplish this.)  Then you should be able to debug things from the
console using "startx" and examining the /var/log/XFree86.log and
~/.xsession-errors files.  Once startx works smoothly, you can
reinstall gdm if you want a graphical login by default.